6.5.09

SONUS- The Space Between- by Katherine Norman


great sound gallery click here

quote...'Maybe a visual image has to work harder to get inside, underneath the surface. But sound has this knack of filling heads with riffs that hang around and won’t be silenced. For me, that’s how it is with these, and many other, works that speak through sound. And I keep saying ‘for me’ because who knows what these works will be for you. Every pair of listening ears is different (and I’m glad to hear it).

Lately I’ve found it helpful to think of music as autobiography of a kind, especially electroacoustic music and sound art that explores recorded materials, and ‘real world’ sounds. Recently I’ve begun to try and explain my listening through words, and connecting to my own real world stories. Maybe it’s not so far from the space of personal memory, to the space of inner listening. So there are short written reflections on my listening here. There are also programme notes and biographies, and places to find more information about the composers and their work. All these destinations can be avoided if you want, and maybe even should be.'

Kathrine also, writes great stuff on sound/language and noise, her book Sounding Art, Eight Literary Excursions through Electronic Music (Ashgate, 2004) is a gem ...click here for more

Elden Tsabary also has a big collection of good sound works from the 60x60 Canada 2008-2009 collection on SONUS click here

this is not Kathrine or Elden... its a binary tree I found somewhere...

No comments: