22.1.08

ania walwicz - travelling













travelling

the train goes and the station moves away what time is it we're going to a jungle hot palms i fall asleep drunk talked to himself i know what i have to do did you see the house on fire out of the window did you see the house on fire out of the window did you see the house on fire out of the window where are we now in my map i don't know too scared to ask am i on the right train are we going the right way where are we now voices in the train soldiers coming loud louder then soft softer then they go away i was asleep then i woke up voices come back then loud then softer then they very soft now softer whisper it is dawn first little pink line in the moving sky gets lighter can i roll the blind now put your blanket little lights of waking towns pass us at night houses sleep in the field dawn drunk gone i didn't see him my ticket and coffee my cup jumps they play cards and laugh little reading light i can't sleep the ship in my port they opened the porthole the ship moves to sea huge wave curls near my fingers shining on edges surges wave rises curls slowly near me i can touch it i can touch it sun on water green deep bending a wave right near me crashes i am wet i woke up at the middle of the night they lit a fire in a field they stood around and warmed their hands near the border when the plane lifts there is music and lift we fly in a soft cloud the train flew over the lake i couldn't see the rails the bridge flashed by with girders with girders with girders the boat leaves the pier swims away the lake was so still you couldn't see horizon oars dip are we moving it is quiet now the dusk is the same as dawn over india red soil i flew above the alps they were below me sharp peaks model mountains the train goes into a tunnel it is dark and dark i'm scared it was hot my feet got too big for my shoes we were going back there is going to be a war he told us the train is slow we were standing in the middle of dark there was an accident at the railway crossing we have to wait when is the train coming the station had big black numbers on each platform my sister told me funny stories we were cold put your arms in your trousers put your legs in your jumper on my feet i wear my hat i put my pants on my head i was laughing and laughing and laughing i lost three hours on the plane it gets earlier all the time people stand in my lit up window did i pack everything did i leave the window open it's too late we are far away now i left my jacket i ride backwards we eat red lolly berries he was talking africa and tigers she was with her son she gave him an apple she eats sausage greasy fingers talk how to use a camera i can't listen greasy fingers and the sausage a book of lists and murders fall asleep it's faster how the lens goodbye at the station she waves her arms and disappears i am flying little cars he went away plane a dot in the sky at night houses have lights on and look warm the city below sparkles diamonds the last tram at night travels home

Ania Walwicz is one of Australia's best-known experimental writers and performers. Widely anthologized in Australia, she is the author of three books: "Writing" (Rigmarole Books, 1982), "Boat" (Collins/Angus and Robertson, 1989) and "Red Roses" (University of Queensland Press, 1992). She has performed her work in Switzerland, France and Japan.

image by misaki kawai

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've got a cool blog but i was lookig for trvelling with punctuation, particularly full stops. If you find a copy you could add it, if you want to. Anyway nice page.

majena mafe said...

thanks anonymous, I'll look out for it with punctuation...I've not seen it yet, but if it exists it must be somewhere traveling along.